Monday, August 18, 2014

Does My Use of Facebook Bring Discontentment?

I'm pretty sure my discontentment comes from exposure to other people's pictures on Facebook (eg; kids posing with ribbons on sportsday, kids dressed in costumes holding trophies, kids dressed in football gear holding trophies, etc). Facebook is a place where people often publish the good things that happen to them, or complain when they are unhappy. The complainers don't usually post photos of the good things in life & the positive people often choose not to post the hardships of their lives. So we can be left with a feeling of discontent - that we are missing out on the good things in life by living in a small remote town with not as many opportunities. We have chosen to home educate our children because we want to give them a biblical worldview. We are living in a remote town because we have chosen to serve God in this place. Sometimes (ok often!) I find this hard when I see all the benefits my friends' kids are getting in other places.
So why keep feeding myself with Facebook? I like to see what's going on in the world & in my friends' lives; to keep the connection. I like the tips on homeschooling and links to helpful resources and articles. I also use Facebook to keep in touch with my distant family and as part of my ministry I manage a couple of outreach pages. But I have been trying to be more deliberate about reading and doing other things instead of filling in each spare minute of my day with Facebook. I have realised that my time management hasn't been all that good. Perhaps even instead of praying or reading Scripture when I am stressed or down, I have been turning to Facebook (or Pinterest) for comfort. Not good! Perhaps even idolatry.
There is the danger that we fill our minds with so many trivial thoughts that we aren't leaving space for orderliness & peace of mind which produces productivity and creativity. (A great book on this subject is Ordering Your Private World by Gordon Macdonald.)
Instead of discontent, I should be so full of the awareness of the many continual blessings I am being given that I am overflowing with praise & thankfulness to God.
"Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life." Proverbs 4:23

1 comment:

  1. I love this post - it is so true and I am also in a similar place. I am trying to read more books, instead of picking up my phone. After being without internet for 5 days on holidays it really opened my mind up to how much we don't need it and can waste so much time on it. I have read SOO many books in the last 4 weeks, just because I chose to NOT pick up my phone. I do like to see what is happening in my friends lives but it is no longer a priority in my day. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete